Update, 9/18/16

Hello all,

As promised I am updating you on the Fall Foliage Tour so that you can better plan your schedules. I have broken down the information into the three scheduled outings to simplify the process. To better plan these outings on my end I would like you to indicate which outing you are serious about attending and any questions/concerns you may have – not a commitment just if you are seriously considering attending. As I indicated in the original announcement ALL dates are tentative and subject to the cooperation of Mother Nature. Those of you who are out and about on an adventure – please do not make this a priority – get back to me when you can.

Reservations for overnights may be advisable but cancelation of a reservation is subject to the policy of the motel and it needs to be considered if you decide to book a room in advance. You will be responsible for both reserving a room and canceling if needed. Consideration of who you will be driving with should also be considered for logistics. All of these outings may be done as day trips; however, travel arrangements will be up to you.

Whiteface Mt Hike
The tentative date is scheduled for Monday, September 26th. However, the weather forecast has been inconsistent – yesterday, rain was predicted for Monday and Tuesday next week; earlier this morning the forecast was for sun. The current forecast is back to rain for Monday and Tuesday. I know that it is still more than a week away but I just wanted everyone to be aware of a possible change. Joanne has volunteered to be an extra driver from the ARSC to the summit and plans on biking down (Linda will be a driver). Jack indicated that he would also be able to drive up the mountain if needed and provide an additional four spaces for bikes with Lenore hiking up and possibly biking down. These offers may change depending on whether the volunteers to drive are able to attend if a change in the date is needed. Right now the change for the best weather would be Sunday the 25th. Please let me know if you plan on attending this specific outing and whether Sunday would be acceptable and if you would like to bike down. Also, we may need to “pass the hat” for a small donation to cover the costs of the tolls for the vehicles driving to the summit.

St. Regis Mt and Pitchoff Ridge Hikes
The tentative dates for this overnight outing are Monday/Tuesday – October 3rd and 4th. Thank goodness the meteorologist’s haven’t tried to forecast that far in advance so those dates are still planned. However, plans on staying in Saranac Lake may need to be reconsidered. The availability of inexpensive and acceptable motels in SL has proven to be a challenge but doable.
Here are a few examples:

Adirondack Motel - nice older motel on the lake offering 2 double beds per room at $99/n;

Mountain Lake Inn/Best Western - A very nice motel across the street from the lake offering a wide variety of rooms at $116.10 with discounts for AAA/seniors etc. They have a very nice cancelation policy (the best actually) – 4pm on the day of your arrival.

Gauthiers Saranac Lake Inn - nice older motel/hotel complex offering a wide variety of room choices starting at $89/n. Please check out their website for details. Their cancelation policy is 3 days prior to arrival.

For your consideration we could stay in Lake Placid. Without listing the many choices here are a few examples:

Quality Inn on Lake Placid - https://www.choicehotels.com/new-york/lake-placid/quality-inn-hotels/ny296?source=gyxt Very nice motel (formerly HoJo’s) offering a variety of rooms from $76/n with AAA/senior discount. Please check out their website for details. ****NOTE – I checked today and they are accepting reservations for rooms for October 3rd with only a 24 hour cancellation notice – must be booked by motel. I like this motel when compared to all others for value.

Econo Lodge - Nice motel offering a variety of rooms from $99/n with AAA/senior discount. Please check out their website for details. ****NOTE – I checked today and they are accepting reservations for rooms for October 3rd with a 48 cancelation notice – must be booked by motel. I don’t understand the difference in policy between the Econo Lodge and the Quality Inn since both are Choice Hotels. Also, the Quality Inn is a nicer motel and is $23 cheaper – go figure!

Carriage House Motor Inn -  Nice, older motel offering queen rooms at $99/n with AAA/senior discount and a 48 hr cancelation policy.

Cascade Inn - Older motel ~5 miles SE of LP on Rt 73 – a few minutes from the Pitchoff TH. Older motel offering double beds at $70/n.

Rochester Hollow and Hunter Mountain Hike

This overnight outing was originally scheduled for Monday, October 17th over Tuesday, October 18th. However, I have a commitment on the 18th and we need to change the dates - most likely to Sunday the 16th to Monday the 17th. Other than the change in dates everything remains the same with plans to stay in the Hunter area.

The last time we hiked Hunter we stayed in a very nice, older motel less than 2 miles west of Windham. 
Cave Mountain Motel - Comfortable rooms with 2 double beds at $85/n taxes included.

I will send out more info on this outing as the date gets closer.

Peter